Looking for a cutting edge combination of learning and fun to fill those after hours? With MicroSociety After School, snacks are served at the Hard Drive Café, Rent-A-Readers and Traveling Tutors provide homework support at MicroU, infractions are meted out in a court of law by student attorneys who have passed their Bar Exams and all those clubs, arts and recreational activities become thriving businesses for young entrepreneurs in the Micro MarketPlace with popular spots like Hot Shot Hats, Photo Shop, Learning Around the World, Mouse Traps, BookBunk, Innovators and Mystery Shop in one interdependent thriving community. Work captivates kids of all ages and provides that needed hook to engage families and community mentors alike. It’s financial literacy and it’s civic engagement. It’s entrepreneurial education and it’s service learning. Its innovative and ever changing. Most importantly, it’s fun.
Gone are those lazy Saturday routines! Why not make weekend out-of-school-time full of exploration, inquiry, and engaging learning opportunities? Similar to our hallmark MicroSociety School and AfterSchool Programs, MicroSocietySTEM-City Saturday provides children with a real-world learning environment in which to discover themselves, interact with their peers, and uncover the excitement of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) all while running a city of their own. STEM knowledge and process acquisition comes alive for three hours on Saturdays as STEM-City citizens apply their 21st Century learning through their roles as architects, bankers, bloggers, curators, engineers, entrepreneurs, environmental activists, government officials, technology specialists, and more ! What will your students achieve when their learning is STEMulated?
Structured yet flexible, MicroSociety STEAM Clubs incorporate all of the mandates needed to make each program a success. Homework time becomes a business venture, “Homework Mania” aka MicroUniversity, snacks are available for a Micro Buck at the “World Café” and physical exercise takes place at “The Spa”. Sites may choose any combination of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math or select just one. Our STEAM clubs run anywhere, anytime: weekdays, weekends, evenings, holidays, spring breaks and summer vacation and can be located in public schools, community and recreation centers, public housing and faith based organizations. It’s easy.
Like the MicroSociety AfterSchool Program, our summer program captivates kids.This fun-filled, real-world, interdisciplinary experience is designed to accommodate the specific needs of summer program providers. It can run for six weeks or be scaled back to one. Regardless of the length of implementation time, this adventure leads to a fully functional society in which every child has a role. The perfect combination of fun, enrichment and learning.
Education built on Kid Power
The Program for International Student Assessment, commonly known as PISA, reports that quality out-of-school-time social supports are critical to the comprehensive approach needed to care for our poorest children and close the achievement gap. Distributed to 70 countries worldwide, those which tend to this need, score higher on the international test
The National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards and Student Testing, confirmed the need for high quality after-school programs and offered recommendations in its 2011 policy brief, synthesizing results from 20 year of evaluation experience. See how MicroSociety Out-of-school-time research-based programming compares.
- Aligns to the day school program and provides a sense of continuity between day and after school instruction
- Incorporates time to study, learn and practice
- Employs innovative, motivational activities to engage students including cross-content integration, real world, dialogic, cooperative learning
- Uses technology, science and the arts to support higher order thinking skills
- Engages parents and community members on-site and students in the community
- Highlights social and character development
- Embeds cultural awareness
- Conducts formal and informal evaluations from multiple perspectives, demonstrating improved attendance, achievement, in-class attention, fewer discipline problems, attitude toward school and student efficacy, confidence and engagement
- Provides professional development that strengthens connections with the school and provides program staff opportunities to expand their knowledge of content standards and instructional methods.